Ohio's Premier Bred, Born & Raised Registered Steer & Heifer Youth Event
- The Best of the Buckeye program will recognize the top placing Ohio calves in each breed division at the Ohio Beef Expo and the Ohio State Fair along with the exhibitors and breeders.
- Best of the Buckeye calves may be exhibited at both the Ohio Beef Expo and the Ohio State Fair. Best of the Buckeye premiums are paid at each show.
- Note: Best of the Buckeye is a separate program from the OCA BEST Program, however BEST participants are encouraged to nominate qualifying cattle for Best of the Buckeye.
To promote the exhibition of Ohio bred & born and registered steers and heifers. To recognize the top Ohio bred, born & raised steers and heifers and the breeders in each breed division at the Ohio Beef Expo and the Ohio State Fair.
- Provide Ohio seedstock breeders with an enhanced marketing opportunity for Ohio bred & born and registered steers and heifers
- Create a source of more moderately priced show steers and heifers by providing a program with awards and prestige
- Attract new participants interested in showing at the Ohio Beef Expo and/or the Ohio State Fair
Who is eligible?
For cattle to be eligible for the Best of the Buckeye program, they must be registered and bred by an Ohio cattleman. ET calves and calves out of purchased bred cows are eligible if they list an Ohio cattleman as the breeder.
Ohio breeders are encouraged to use the program's logo in their sale advertisements and promotions. Click here to download the Best of the Buckeye logo.
To participate in Best of the Buckeye, breeders must complete a nomination form (each form can be used to nominate up to five animals from the same breeder) and sign an affidavit verifying Best of the Buckeye eligibility. The breeder or exhibitor may submit the nomination forms and fee for the Best of the Buckeye nominations. Cattle that are nominated prior to the Ohio Beef Expo by March 1 and prior to the Ohio State Fair by June 20 will incur a $25 per head nomination fee per show. Cattle may be nominated for both shows by March 1 for a rate of $40. Breeders will have the opportunity to nominate cattle through check-in at the Ohio Beef Expo and at the Ohio State Fair at an increased late nomination fee of $75 per head. Completed early entry nomination forms may be returned to the OCA office by March 1 for Ohio Beef Expo Best of the Buckeye entries or by June 20 for Ohio State Fair Best of the Buckeye nominations. Animals nominated for Best of the Buckeye will also need to be entered in the Ohio Beef Expo and Ohio State Fair junior shows. Cattle that are eligible to show for more than one year must pay a new Best of the Buckeye nomination each calendar year.
The Ohio Beef Expo and Ohio State Fair will pick the top 3 heifers and steers in each breed division for the Best of the Buckeye program with sponsorships adding additional premiums to the top 3 Best of the Buckeye cattle in each division, Champion-$300, Reserve-$200 and 3rd-$100. Breed Association premiums will be added to the minimum Best of the Buckeye payouts with the understanding that the top placing Best of the Buckeye animal in each division will be capped at a premium payout total of $1,500 from the Best of the Buckeye payouts (not including host show premiums). Individuals may also donate to the Best of the Buckeye program through their Ohio breed association. Best of the Buckeye placings will coincide with the show’s class placings. The top 3 animals from each class will come back immediately following the breed’s final drive to show for the Best of the Buckeye final drive.